Selston is the largest village within the parish and was recorded in the Domesday Book as Salistune. In 1776 the Lords of the Manor were recorded as Lord Melbourne, Sir William Dixie and the Earl of Mexborough.
The B600 runs through the parish with much of Selston following a linear pattern along this route.
It has one infant and one primary school, namely Selston C of E School and Holly Hill School plus Selston High School, educating pupils from 11 to 16. All of the Infant, Junior & Primary schools in the Parish are feeder school to Selston High School.
Coal mining has also played an important part in the heritage of Selston, with origins as far back as 1206. Coal was found very near to the surface and within the parish there were at least 16 exposed seams. Names of local collieries included: Pye Hill Colliery No 2, the Bull Pit formally the New Selston Colliery and the Bog and Winch pit. During the 19th and 20th Centuries, coal mining provided the main source of employment along with textiles. Today little remains of those coalfield areas and there are few employment sites within Selston.